Saturday, July 2, 2011

Reflections on a year in ministry

Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
In some ways its hard to believe I have already been here a year.  I can distinctly remember moving into my office and beginning the process of feeling out the congregation.  I remember panicking internally as I searched for names during the sharing of the joys and concerns and visiting many of your houses for some initial coffee chats.  And yet, in other ways, I feel like I’ve known some of you for years.  I am so grateful for how warmly this congregation has received me and I look forward to relying on your support and leadership in the year to come.
Though I thought I had a fair idea of what I was getting into when I accepted my appointment to Independence UMC, several things happened that I did not expect.  I have been stunned at just how flexible this congregation has been-especially when it comes to worship.  You quickly accepted that I do not wear a robe, you’ve seem to have gotten used to my penchant for asking questions in the middle of the service and you’ve enthusiastically embraced when I do something altogether different after the sermon like burning our sins or washing one another’s feet.  This was perhaps most reflected in the enthusiastic response to an entirely revamped Holy Week.  Thank you for your flexibility!    
I also have been encouraged by how warm and friendly we are to visitors.  I know it will embarrass her to say so, but if every congregation had an ambassador as warm and friendly as Alice Deyling, we’d all be bursting at the seams.  This openness to new people has resulted in increased attendance and having 12 new members join since last July.  Finally, I have found that this congregation takes pride in maintaining what we already do well.  Our trustees are constantly buzzing about the church and the congregation has responded generously when needs have arisen.  
Good job of maintaining what is here
As we begin another year of shared ministry together, I hope to see us grow in a few different ways.  More and more members of our congregation have stepped up to take leadership roles in vital, active ministries.  Because of this, we were able to launch a new prayer group, engage in hands on ministry with Nehemiah Mission, and explore working collaboratively with other Methodist churches.  I hope this leadership and renewed commitment will also help us to expand the programs that reach beyond the walls of our congregation to demonstrate the love of Christ through both our words and our actions.  Thirdly, I hope to work with Pam Young and others to build on the good work of the Work Mission Trip as week seek to enliven our youth and young adult ministries.
Though those are some individual areas, there is one bottom line goal that we must keep in mind.  God has a plan for this congregation.  Its bigger and bolder than anything we might imagine at the moment.  Let us have the courage to dream big about the opportunities God is going to set forth for us.  Let us willfully embrace the challenges we might face.  Let us truly be the body of Christ in this world so that all might come to know God’s love and forever be transformed.
Shalom,
Pastor Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment