Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Worship Testimonial

Dear Friends,

For me, going to church in the 50’s and 60’s was all about the quest for the “Sunday School Pin” signifying perfect attendance. That pin was in jeopardy many a Sunday as we nearly didn’t get there for one reason or another! There was one bathroom for six of us and one of us either could not find our shoes or our boots or my sister, the drama queen, was having a meltdown. Mother would put the roast in the oven and set the timer right before we all piled in the freshly washed car. Every Sunday brought new challenges in getting to church and then getting home after the service. I can say after all this each of us received at least two perfect attendance pins.  One thing for which I am grateful is the importance my folks placed on getting us all to church every week.

Now I attend church pretty regularly. I do not much care about perfect attendance and although I am not always in the most receptive state of mind I am always thankful to be there! I find that if I lift my eyes off of myself I create a place in my heart for God and he will speak to me. As I reflect on my faith journey I am conscious of how intricately woven regular worship is in the continuation of this faith journey and spiritual growth. God meets me where I am and reminds me that I am not the center of the universe and if I am open to God’s prodding he will enable me to recognize what is central.

The past several years have presented some personal challenges for me and as I worked through those times I was profoundly touched by the generous gift of prayer and kindness. You are my friends with whom meals are shared, songs are sung as well as laughter and sadness. How wonderfully rich and intimate that makes worship for me! In contrast I think how one dimensional our faith journey would be without each other in this worship experience.

Our Church is rich with projects needing to be done and plans to be made for the future. It is a place of powerful activity and a place of restful comfort. It is a place where friendships begin and grow and a place where we mourn the loss of those very dear. Most importantly it is a place where we can continue to build that ever widening community of faith with one another.

See You All in Church 

Roberta

No comments:

Post a Comment